No matter where my writing or photography appears or whether I'm producing content myself or helping others learn how to do it through my Travel Writing Coaching program, the unifying thread is translating culture.
My book on how to succeed as a professional travel writer, The Six-Figure Travel Writing Road Map, is available now.
Since becoming a full-time, freelance travel writer in 2010, I have had hundreds of articles published in magazines and newspapers of all kinds, from "glossy," newstand magazines to major travel trade titles to custom content publications like Cunard cruise line's Cunard to major daily papers like The Dallas Morning News.
I primarily cover cultural travel, which can encompass not only "cultural" events like festivals and dance and theater performances, but also cuisine and other aspects of daily life that give each place in the world its unique personality and unique draw for visitors.
Please see my online portfolio for a selection of publications, including a snapshop of the print spread and a link to the full text of the article on the magazine or newspaper website.
Starting with my time at MIT, I have been managing websites and blogs for companies and non-profits of all sizes and stripes, but am currently only looking to take on either stategic consulting to get a site off the ground (including helping find appropriate, committed writers) or on-going relationships for a minimum of 2 blog posts per week on certain topics:
- travel writing (craft of business)
- online marketing for small business
- topics on the industry side of travel
- blogs specializing in certain countries or parts of the world (Italy, Spain, Greece, Europe on a general level, the southern U.S., northeastern U.S., west coast U.S.)
I photograph destinations all over the world for editorial use, stock photography, and fine art usage.
Images available for:
- Spanish cities, countryside, and coast (particularly Madrid and Catalunya, but also many other destinations)
- nearly every region in Italy
- Indian weddings, Northern fort cities, Mumbai
- London, Edinburgh, the Cotswolds
- Paris, Bordeaux (city and wine country), Champagne, Lyon, Annecy, French Alps
- Athens, the Greek Islands, the archaeological sites of the Peleponnese, the UNESCO site Meteora
- Eastern European capitals, including Sofia, Bucharest, Budapest, Zagreb, Ljubljana, and Bratislava
- and much more!
Get in touch for a full list of destinations if you are looking for something particular--there's a good chance I've been there (if it's in Europe).
Through Dream of Travel Writing, my one-of-a-kind travel writing coaching program focused on sustainability, stability, and simple success in travel writing (a.k.a. the business side!), I help aspiring or plateauing travel writers reach their byline and financial goals and turn travel writing into a career that lives up to the dream.
- one-on-one coaching
- group mastermind classes
- query letter critiques
- free case studies, how-tos and resource guides
Get in touch if you're interested in doing a free consultation to see if I can help you level up your travel writing career.
In addition to my print work with magazines and newspapers, I have also been published academically in They Do What? A Cultural Encyclopedia of Extraordinary and Exotic Customs from Around the World and am contributing to a forthcoming volume on etiquette around the world.
I'm also currently seeking representation for a narrative non-fiction book about what happens when one cultural conservative Indian city of 5 million people faces unavoidable cultural clash on the homefront, and how one American girl (thoroughly obsessed with an entirely different "I" country) gets caught in the middle and muddles her way through 15 weddings worth of culture shock.
See a subset of my published articles here both in print and online form.
As I have written hundreds and hundreds of articles over the years and a portion of my work is also ghostwriting, there are many items I cannot display here, so let me know if you are looking for a specific topic that you don't see.